Businesses Benefit from Expanding Business Analysis Efforts
There is no industry that digital transformation hasn’t touched. Digital transformation, which was defined by Salesforce as “the process of using digital technologies to create new — or modify existing — business processes, culture, and customer experiences to meet changing business and market requirements” is happening within the vast majority of organizations.1
When it comes to digital transformation, businesses either must keep up or they will be forced to bow out. “Deployed well, digital technology boosts revenue and transforms customer experience, operations, and business processes,” stated MIT.2 “When mismanaged, companies risk becoming obsolete.” Business analysis can help organizations properly implement digital transformation initiatives and stay relevant.
How Business Analysis Support Digital Transformation
Digital transformation can be extremely beneficial to a company. For example, results of effective digital transformation strategies include digitalization of business operations, greater resource management, deeper customer insight, and a better customer experience, just to name a few. But without the guidance of business analysts, digital transformation can put undue strain on a company.
The BA Times stated, “Organizations are now dependent on business analysts and project managers to guide them through this digital disruption and advise on best practice and emerging technologies. Predictive technologies such as machine learning, Artificial Intelligence and The Internet of Things can now provide industry trends and data patterns that have the power to significantly impact a business and its operations.”3
As digital transformation efforts grow, so must a company’s business analysis initiatives.
3 Organizational Tips for Increasing Business Analysis Efforts
Increase your organization’s business analysis efforts by building your internal professional business analysis capabilities. Here are a few tips:
1) Expand the company budget to hire more BAs — Since digital transformation is changing companies so quickly, BA talent is not something most companies can afford to scrimp on. If hiring additional business analysts is not something that is financially feasible for your organization, focus on the professional development and certification of your current BAs.
2) Provide your BA talent with business analysis certifications — Your company’s business analysts and analysis practitioners might be highly skilled, but certification will increase their expertise and give them the tools they need to help you achieve better business outcomes. There is no better way to expand the organization’s business analysis initiatives and drive the confidence needed to overcome today’s challenges.
3) Educate employees across all departments about business analysis — Is every employee at your business aware of which business analysis initiatives your company has implemented? Do they know how they personally, as well as their department, can best support those initiatives? By giving them this information, you are inviting them to help your company reach its digital transformation and business analysis goals.
If you would like some help building your internal business analysis capabilities, check out the IIBA Global Corporate Program.
As digital transformation grows, so must a company’s business analysis initiatives. In what ways are your organization’s business analysis efforts increasing?
1. Salesforce. What is digital transformation? https://www.salesforce.com/products/platform/what-is-digital-transformation/.
2. MIT. 5 reasons companies struggle with digital transformation. https://mitsloan.mit.edu/ideas-made-to-matter/5-reasons-companies-struggle-digital-transformation.
2. BA Times. The future of business analysis. https://www.batimes.com/articles/the-future-of-business-analysis.html.